The seed which germinated to what is now known as the Association of Advertising Agencies of Nigeria (AAAN) was sown by Oloye Dotun Okubanjo, Chief Olu Adekoya, Mr. Sam Adedoyin, Otunba Banjo Solaru and Mr. Biodun Sanwo around June 1971 purposely to sanitise the industry. The Association was formally known as Association of Advertising Practitioners of Nigeria (AAPN).
Although the idea to establish the AAAN started in 1970, after consultations with fellows of like minds, the maiden formal meeting took place in June, 1971 under the Chairmanship of the late Mr. Dotun Okubanjo. Those who were also at the meeting were Leye Adedoyin, Biodun Sanwo, Late Chief Olu Adekoya and Late Banjo Solaru. This meeting took some far-reaching decisions, which included a decision to intimate various ministries and government agencies of the coming into being of the association.
“AAAN shall seek to regulate the practice of advertising among member-agencies towards improving standards, corporate respectability, profitability and knowledge; encourage symbiotic relationships among practitioners and other related sectoral bodies, in order to enhance the business environment in which we operate, thereby strengthening the contribution of advertising to the nation’s development”.
The Association has a 12-member Executive Board comprising the President, Vice-President, Executive Director (Secretary), Honorary Treasurer, Publicity Secretary, Asst. Publicity Secretary and six Ex-officio members. The five officers listed above hold office for two years but could be re-elected for another 2 years (maximum of four years) while the Executive Director is a full-time staff of the Association.
The current members of the Executive Board are:
- Mr. Ikechi Odigbo – President
- Mr. Steve Babaeko – Vice President
- Mr. Wale Akintunde – Honorary Treasurer
- Mr. Jenkins Alumona – Publicity Secretary
- Mrs. Tope Jemerigbe – Assistant Publicity Secretary
- Mr. Kayode Oluwasona – Ex-Officio
- Chief Odun Fadoju – Ex-Officio
- Mr. Onuora Molokwu – Ex-Officio
- Dr. Tunji Olugbodi – Ex-Officio
- Mrs. Biodun Adefila – Ex-Officio
The Association has a 6-member board of Trustees who are the legal owners of the association……
The Board of Trustees is currently made up of the following members:
- Sir Steve Omojafor (OON) – Chairman
- Mrs. Bola Thomas – Member
- Mr. Lolu Akinwuni – Member
- Mr. Udeme Ufot (MFR) – Member
- Mr. Enyi Odigbo – Member
- Mr. Ikechi Odigbo – Member /Sitting President